Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Writing It Right

Some more tips for all of us writers in the making out here. These tips are shocking, hilarious and yet manage to strike a chord as far as good writing is concerned. You can read the entire article on Amy Bayliss, which has a lot of such articles to help bring out the writer in you.

1. Don't write like a teacher - Do not be dry, nobody enjoys a dictation unless they're looking for a sure shot remedy for insomnia. Avoid long monologues and try to engage the reader by adopting a more conversational approach in your writing.

2. Don't write like a preacher: Let's just say that writing religious truths and condemning people for all their actions and or inactions isn't going to win you too many admirers unless they're a part of your congregation. Instead try encouraging people to overcome their shortcomings in a more demonstrative manner.

3. Don't write like a dead person: Do not try to duplicate the writings of people from the bygone era. Charles Dickons and O'Henry are long gone and so are the audience that they catered to. Just be you and write for an audience of this century, addressing the modern man's  thoughts, concerns and lifestyle.

* These tips are extremely generalized and are definitely not applicable for so many genres of writings. However, I'm guess they'll prove to be a good starting point for fresh writers, and if nothing else I hope they'll make for an interesting read in the least.

12 comments:

quixotic.knight said...

Loved the dead gal in the pic lol.......And I kind of identify with the first pic more than i should I'm afraid.....those equation filled blackboards can really be haunting..
Anyways...I salute the hard work which goes into finding such apt pics....

PS:Pls dont ignore deat ol' cursesnverses in front of the suave miles of style :P

Ioana said...

i am curious to read such an extraordinary book, that original that makes you not leave it out of your hands. and soul for that matter.
oh, i read some great books over the years.
but i am always looking for more.

COCAMIA said...

Your blog is fantastic! Glad I found you!

Unknown said...

There's some good advice here.

Thanks for visiting my blog on my SITS day.

Unknown said...

There's some good advice here.

Thanks for visiting my blog on my SITS day.

WhiteSockGirl aka The Fabulous Bitch said...

Love it! I can only hope that I am don't write like a teacher,.. and pray that I don't write preacher... And certainly do not ever want to write like a dead person! Is bitch writing ok? That is only way I think I can write..

The dead girl appeals to me in a creepy kinda of way. I think I need help...

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
WhiteSockGirl aka The Fabulous Bitch said...

Hi Hi! Left a little something bitchy for you on my blog!

Glam Girl said...

I'm not a writer, but some tips are usefull!

http://keepingupwithglamfashion.blogspot.com/

Suruchi said...

Wow Persis...
A fashionista moonlighting as a writer!!!!!!!!!
Is there something you don't do?
:-)
And you say n do it so well:-)

The Mad Twins said...

I love the picture from Lara Swift ^^