Sunday, January 31, 2010

Of Grand Gestures Like Forgiving and Moving On...

As many of you would know, I maintain two blogs on the Blogger platform - Miles of Style and Curses and Verses. Miles of Style is a reflection of my fondness for everything fashionable, stylish and superficial. Writing articles for this blog is frankly quite easy, I find a lot of inspiration for my write-ups in daily life as well as on the internet. It is here that I write about all the materialistic things that I covet and believe you me the list is long! I also have a lengthy list  topics to cover on this blog which shall see me through February in the least.

However, my other blog, Curses and Verses is extremely difficult to maintain and write for. It is here that I write about things I feel deeply about. My posts on this blog are very spur-of-the-moment and not as frequent.  Two posts in '07, none in '08 and five in '09...statistics suggest that I find it rather difficult to put into words things that I  feel deeply about. Inspiration is an in-frequent visitor!


Having confessed this, today's inspiration came rather all too easily to me. I was on my way to work, and as a rare occasion had the driver driving me there,(most days he chauffeurs  my in-laws whilst hubby and I drive ourselves to work) which left me with some time to channelize my thoughts. Random that I am, I suddenly thought of this absolutely touching William Blake poem that I had read a few years ago. The precise lines that came into my head were: " 'And throughout all Eternity, / I forgive you and you forgive me. / As our dear Redeemer said: / This the Wine and this the Bread. "  I first came across this poem, (aptly titled Broken Love) in a movie called 'The Heart of Mine'.  You can read the entire poem here. And while it is difficult to find a complete analysis of the poem on the net  (in case any of you do find one, please pass it along to me), it isn't difficult to feel the poet's pain, discomfort, anger and frustration. Barring the last four verses, which many believe were not part of this poem but were found in Blake's personal diary not meant for publication until someone came across them and found them to match with Broken Love decided to add them to the poem.


For me; the last verse (that came to my mind today) worked kind of like a release from an otherwise painful poem. You can almost feel the poet's soul finding an escape from its possessed and tortured body upon uttering these lines of forgiveness. I couldn't help but wonder if forgiving someone and being forgiven in return could really set one free? But anywayz, I take this verse randomly popping into my mind today and flashing like a neon advert as a signal to forgive and forget past grievances. It takes a lot of strength to genuinely forgive people that have hurt you but I think we owe it to our souls to set them a-free from these dark dungeons of pain and resentment.  In order to achieve inner peace and good health it is essential for one to forgive - not only others but also one's self for all previous actions and inactions. Yes, I think sometimes life does demand a "grand gesture" from each one of us and Forgiving is just one of them.


Here's hoping that all of you too find courage and reason enough to forgive those who've hurt you, after all life feeds back truth to people in its own way and time. Some things are better best left for God to handle...and as mere mortals we may not be able to change the past but we definitely can enlarge our future!

p.s " You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well." ~ Lewis Smedes.

12 comments:

The Dapper Darling said...

Love this post...forgiving can be hard sometimes. I find time heals all, however :)

thank you for visiting me on my sits day!

gina said...

Mmm.


Well, what you do write here has substance so good thing you keep it.

Miles Of Style said...

thank you gina, i'm glad you like my posts =)

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

what a fantastic quote

Crystal Escobar said...

Wow, what an amazing writer you are. I'm glad you visited my blog because it brought me here. I'm for sure following your blog now. This was a beautiful post, and just love the quote at the end. It's so true! And where do you find all your amazing pictures. I love them!

Linda said...

Hi, Thank you for your comment. Yes, forgiving is hard..Just came through one of those...glad that it is done.A very stressfull situation. Such is life

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Your header is amazing. I could stare at it for hours...days....
thanks for stopping by.

Miles Of Style said...

Thank you for all the nice comments ladies! x.

Ioana said...

what is it about forgiving? i came across a blog yesterday that had to do with the same topic, and here is yours today that talks about it. :)
I love it.
I strive to give forgiveness.

Boomer Pie. said...

You're right about forgiveness requiring courage. It's probably one of the hardest things people do because pride interfers with our forgiving. I like your writing so I signed up to follow. Come visit me for a Valentine inspiration and follow along too. http://www.boomerpie.com/

S. Susan Deborah said...

" 'And throughout all Eternity, / I forgive you and you forgive me. / As our dear Redeemer said: / This the Wine and this the Bread. "

The above lines brought me to your blog. Just yesterday I saw a film titled, "The heart of me," where these lines are oft repeated by the actors throughout the course of the film. Have you seen the film?

You have a fantastic wee space here and I am glad to have found you.

Joy always,
Susan

S. Susan Deborah said...

Ha, I reread the post and I can't imagine how I missed the reference to the film.

*Sheepish*